Sunday, January 24, 2010

Jan 24 - India

The instant Starbucks I brought tastes like heaven this morning (it's crazy how tired you can be). I got to be at 12:50 last night (new record) and was able to sleep a little past 6:30 (being old sucks)! Anyway I'm still filled with awe about yesterday.

From the snake charmer rubbing an herb on the head of a cobra and then being able to rub his hand on it's head for a few minutes to the level of security around you at all times - It's like living in another world. When your seated on the makeshift stages you are brought a pop. It was Sprite until I mentioned to Dr. Kumar that Coke or Pepsi would be better (Everyone else is now drinking Pepsi with me - ha). The respect given is beyond what I've seen in the Far East. I explain the Believers that we are ONE but they are filled with such expressions on their faces when we lay our hands on them, touch them, smile and look into their eyes.

When we arrived in the village (Dr. Kumar corrected me that it is NOT a city) of 40,000 we came to two churches Dr. Kumar planted. They are just small building that will hold about 100 people or so (50 American size). They had put up bamboo in the narrow street between the houses and illigally used electricity from the church (If they are reported to the goverment they are in big trouble - that is why they usually use generators when Missionary's preach).

Dr. Kumar had told me that perhaps the 300 believers would bring 200 Hindus. The street was so narrow that they could only seat about 10 chairs accross. As far as I could see down the street there were people. They Hindus will not come to the front. The children sang, they had two drum players and the power of their singing was more moving than a Gordon Avenue concert :). The smiles from the people was amazing. These people are very simple and my joke about my parrot at home had fallen flat every time. I was determined. This time (by the power of God . . . or bruce) it worked - So much fun. The people laughed and raised their hands when I asked them if they aggreed with me that Laura is the most beautiful woman in all the world. Dr. Kumar then told me that many men were now in trouble with their wives (He got me - I was concerned until I realized he now know how to joke. It was great fun.). When we left we discoverd that they had sat out 1,000 chairs and everyone was full, and a large croud was still standing (people were watching out the windows of their homes too).

I spoke on the man from the high caste of kings/rulers - he was rich, young and had kept many rules; still his heart said, "There must be one more rule to have Eternal Life." For the people to hear of Jesus asking him to give everything to the poor and become a Gypse is very shocking. I then explained that this man then had no sacrafices or gifts he would be able to offer - only his heart receiving the Creator God's true Son. To see every hand go up as I explained how they can say yes and become God's children not ceased to amaze me. I read to them the "Holy word of the Creator God of all people and all gods; It is easier for a Waterbuffalow to crawl through the eye of a needle than for someone who have much wealth in sacrifices to enter Eternal life."

Our service to God does not bring more of His love; I'm so sad that I've often worshipped serving more than the devotion and friendship to my forever friend Jesus. It is so clear that there is NOTHING we have to offer.

I ended with the story of defeated, beat down disciples saying, "Then it is impossible to be saved." BUT, BUT . . . "What is impossible for humans, is ALWAYS possible with God!" They had tables set up that the people had to weave through so the crouds wouldn't press to hard on us. We prayed over 80-90% of the people. As the Hindus came up from the back, many of them peeled the red dot from their forhead. Some of them were perhaps beat last night when they returned home with a fire of Jesus Christ in their life.

Today we are off to a mission post by the sea that is owned by Dr. Kumar - it has 6 acres and we will eat fresh fish, take pictures of what we can do with the foundation that has already been poured. Dr. Kumar wants it to become an Living Hope Church to serve the 40 churches he has raise up around it. There are so many Untouchable caste people in this place. Tomorrow we do more baptizms and then Laura and I fly back to Chennai to help Caleb before we leave. I so look forward to mentoring this young, yet experienced, pastor and his wife. They are beautiful people. I would also say, that next to my own father, I've never met a more humble man, who loves people will all his heart, than Dr. Kumar. He is truly amazing.

Love you and again thank you so much for your prayers and forever investment! The Baptism this Sunday at our East Vancouver Campus will be so Only God! See you soon.

P.S. "Super bowl at our home" - I've no idea who's playing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment