Wednesday, January 20, 2010

5th Day in India (Wow!)



From Dubai, with its Starbucks, to Chennai with the Gypsy village favorite - roasted Chipmunk, the contrast is beyond words (or pictures). The people are so much more hungry in this country and they so openly accept God's Forever love. Sunday my heart was so blown away in the rag picker's village (garbage collectors), they so quickly turned their lives over to the ONLY God. They have hoped their entire lives for a god to love them - Their eyes and hearts are so open.

Last night in Rajahmundry I spoke for the first time to a group of perhaps 200 people on the side of the road. Two pastors had built a stage and hung lights in the widest part of the village. As we drove there, about 8:30 p.m., Dr Kumar's driver suddenly pulled over and another vehicle pulled in front. "They are our security guard and they will protect us," said Dr. Kumar. He told me that because of the orphanage and free medical aid he provided he was protected by the government. His guards had contacted the local police and they were ready to help us if there were any problems.

When I finished speaking I was amazed to see almost every hand go up in response to my invitation. I explained again and asked them to stand. They have no gods who run after them and want to have a friendship of love. They only know the struggle of offering sacrifices and trying to "be good." When we finished, every one of them came up and our entire team prayed for them one by one (sometimes by two's), laying our hands on them. I saw old men with tears in their eyes, young teenaged boys, and many women. We prayed for cripples and those with so many physical problems. My heart broke with joy and sadness at the same time.

Today while praying for people in the Hospital Mission, I learned from Dr. Kumar that the economy (ours) had reduced the number of surgeries from 40 per week to 4- 6. They have no money to do them. The inpatient services have been suspended (72 beds) and they are now housing young girls from the orphanage. We served and prayed for 70 or 80 people in a two hour period.

Tomorow we will visit a village that we might drill a well in - pray for these people, they are so hungry to know our Father.

I'm sorry the internet is so slow it' s hard to upload pictures. Tomorrow I will speak to a much larger gathering of hungry-and-in need-of-Jesus people. We will be training pastors too. You can follow me on my Facebook, too. Thank you for your prayers, Facebook notes, and emails.

I've got a few pics on my Facebook.

Bruce, Laura, and the Only God team

No comments:

Post a Comment