Saturday, February 28, 2009

Every moment we are given great opportunities

 

I was very stupid for waiting so many years to learn to dance with my best friend, Laura.  She’s the love of my life and I’ve know for many years that dancing with her would bring great joy (please forward this blog to my dear friend Pastor John Bishop).

I was reading the Love Chapter guy – Paul today and I heard God speaking to me through it.  The context is about  how we live out our lives in an evil world.  The verses I read so spoke to me about my years of neglecting to speak a “love language” that would bless my wife’s life.  The reasons for NOT blessing Laura in this way were silly (actually stupid) and revealed a slice of selfish “stuck-very-deep-in-the-mud” thinking.  I kept telling myself that God didn’t gift me with the ability to dance therefore I was excused from trying.  What a lie (often to allow us to keep doing what is comfortable instead of what’s right).

Here’s the passage I read: Ephesians 5:16-18.  Paul’s saying, “Bruce take EVERY opportunity you get, especially in these selfish times, act out with purposefulness – live not in excesses of “what feels good” rather live by being “filled-to-the-top” with God’s Spirit.  The word “filled” actually means complete.

  • Why are you holding back?
  • What would add joy to someone you love?
  • Read the whole story of Bruce’s victory over stupidity (my personal blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment