Sunday, February 8, 2009

Boy Meets Girl – Romanced by God

More than one single person spoke to me this week about something they're trying NOT to do in there relationships. Avoidance therapy is something that doesn't work very well - “I’m not going to be desperate to be married,” or "I'm going to stop needing that person so much!"

It seems like the more we focus on NOT thinking about something; the more we try to avoid doing something the more it becomes our predominant focus. This is a natural function of the human brain!

  • Paul talks about living free of sin in Romans 7. The more I try to not do something the more I do it (v.15).
  • He goes on – My natural self takes God’s perfect plan (law) and it arouses even more temptation in me (v.5)
  • Then he says, God’s law, in my sinful natural state, stirs up all kinds of coveting – wanting things I don’t have (v.8)

Trying NOT to be so desperate; NOT trying to obsess about my loneliness - it only makes it worse! God’s got a better way.

God reminds us, through the words of Billy Preston, “Nothin’ from Nothin’ leaves nothin’ You’ve gotta have somethin’ if want to be with me!

God is the only one who can romance you and I enough!

All this week I plan to blog about God’s romance (maybe even some ideas on how to give romance as a wonderful "value-based gift" to someone else). Visit my blog this week as I unpack some of the ideas we shared at Fisher’s this weekend. Let's keep building deep friendship intimacy “God’s way.”

‘”I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love.” John 15:9

No comments:

Post a Comment