Sunday, March 7, 2010

"True" vs "Truth" - Living Free

Our current sermon series is "Pirates: What steals your heart?"

This week we looked at the story of Elijah in I Kings 18-19 (LINK). Here are the words I want to highlight from our study: hope, lies, true, truth, and worship.

Hope: Without hope our desire dies and we become like a walking-dead-person. Lies can destroy our hope. We can be lied to in various ways, but one of the most common is through words.

Satan is the father, creator of lies (His first lie was told in Genesis 3 and it was the biggest lie ever told.). What makes a lie dangerous is buying into it without the slightest question of its truthfulness. Believing a lie always harms our relationships – all of them! Question: What's the chance I'm believing even one lie, and don't have a clue it's harming me?

A Lie: To purposely deceive, with disregard (apathy) for the well-being of others. It’s ultimate selfishness – it means I care about ME first and foremost!

True vs. Truth: Words can be true; facts can be too (e.g. The earth rotates around the sun.). But only “truth” can set us free! Truth, at times, comes to us in words. But in its purist form, it comes in the form of a person (Check out this amazing passage in the Bible – LINK.).

Truth IS Jesus and His “alive presence” IN our lives. Question: How aware am I of Jesus’ presence in my life? Is Jesus, the living WORD, “front and center” in my life? The forcefulness of my “yes” will push down the lies Satan whispers to me.

Before I reflect on the word “worship” I want to remind you to check back for the name of the 46-year-old poem I mentioned this last Sunday (It will be fun - and very inspiring). It’s a powerful poem that so reflects the Purest Truth Jesus will pour into your life if you want it.

Worship: that which is most “valuable” in our life – what’s “worth” the most to us. What “counts” most is what we worship. Our thoughts, resources (time and money), and life is poured into what we believe counts the most!

Question: How many times a day do you hear Satan whisper a lie to you? How often do you buy into it? What is the greatest TRUTH Jesus wants to speak into you this very moment?

Our choice: Will I act out, live out, truth today? What’s the next “truth step” from me to take right now? What words prayed in my heart this very moment will I pray?

Check back later this week for the “Incredible poem?”

Check out Bruce’s personal blog (CLICK) - Snowshoeing dates & . . . the Portland Band my friend Adam sounded like this week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment