Tuesday, February 23, 2010

This week UPDATE - Sun Feb. 21 -27

Mark 10:17ff has a story of a "Rich Young Upwardly Mobile" man meeting Jesus and asking him how one makes sure heaven is a "for sure" deal!

The first thing we see is that this young man "runs" to Jesus and kneels before Him:
Run = A Greek word which means "to run quickly." Used to illustrate an "all out effort;" so it's normal that Paul uses it to talk about "running in a race." Hebrews 12:1-2 and I Corinthians 9:24-25 are very cool passages that speak of this race. The word used for describing the man kneelling is "to fall onto one's knees." All through the Eastern world this is a sign of extreme respect.

"What must I do?" This is the normal question for someone who is desperate to have God in their life. Romans 4:4-5 (NLT) puts it this way, "When people work, their wages
are not a gift, but something they have earned. 5 But people are counted as righteous, not because of their work, but because of their faith in God who forgives sinners."
Jesus often answers us in the way we "expect Him to" - but the longer we listen, the more likely He will speak to us of "strange" things we never imagined. We can choose to "barter" or demand a "business deal." But relationships with God are never for sale!

"Sell everything and give it to the homeless - Then walk with me." Catch this, Jesus knows that when I've got nothing to "add" to His ministry, no reserves which I can use to "do something with" - then I'm a beggar dependent on His grace alone. What makes me wealthy? Family, security in religious knowledge? My safe, "Calculating" lifestyle? Jesus' question is, "What makes you most self-reliant?" Give it up and walk down "My road." Matthew 5 is a snapshot of the kind of people who best serve in God's Kingdom (a re-read is a must).

In this state, all we can say is, "Freely I've received, so freely I'
m going to give." Mark 10:8.

Finally - The words of Solomon so raced through my mind as Pastor John spoke this past weekend; Proverbs 11:24-25 - Read them, then pray through the following questions:
1. What makes me wealthy? My friendships? My family stability? My strong faith because of trials I've endured? My church?
2. How will I share this wealth to someone in need this week?
3. Have I been stingy with my resources (financial and other)?
4. How often will I ask God to show me where HE wants me to invest this wealth I have?


Check back later this week for the story of the eight year old from India



No comments:

Post a Comment